HELPLINE 01342 313895 – Monday to Friday 9.30am – 12.30pm
We have a dedicated telephone HELPLINE – 01342 313895. This will be staffed Monday – Friday from 9.30 am to 12.30 pm. Outside of these hours please leave a message and your call will be returned by one of the team as soon as possible.
Supporting bereaved children and young people
The loss of a close family member can be hard for children and young people to understand and difficult for adults to talk to them about. Children may ask many questions or they may say nothing at all. Either way, it is not easy to support them when the family has experienced such a loss.
Jigsaw (South East) is here to help support you through that very difficult time. Children are quick to notice when something important has happened – silence can bewilder and frighten them. They need to be given an explanation in an age-appropriate, honest way. They need to feel that they can have the information repeated or ask new questions.
There is no ‘correct’ order or time limit on children’s responses to grief. They will move from laughter to sorrow, from anger to fear and back again. They will need you to understand and help them to manage their feelings.
What we can offer
- Early grief support and reassurance to families, around the loss of a loved one, by telephone or video link
- Guidance, advice and training for schools to ensure that children are well supported within the school setting
- Information evenings for families and professionals
- Information and advice around funerals
- Signposting to other agencies and organisations that will also be able to support you
- A programme of social activities for children and families
- For children and families requiring further support we run a program of grief support groups