Location: East Court, College Lane, East Grinstead, West Sussex, RH19 3LT
Hours: One day per week (7 hrs) with some flexibility to work over two days
Salary: £22,629 pa (pro-rata)
Annual leave: 25 days + public holidays (pro-rata)
Responsible to: Business Development Manager
Closing Date: Monday 29th July 2019
Expected interview date: Thursday 1st August 2019
Jigsaw (South East) is a registered charity supporting bereaved children and young people and those who are facing the death of a close family member through a terminal illness. We provide support to families across Surrey, parts of West Sussex and the area around East Grinstead. We have a small team based at the office in East Grinstead and a team of support workers who work remotely with families.
We are seeking a self-motivated and enthusiastic team member with experience of raising money from grants, ideally within the charitable sector. You will be a persuasive writer, well organised and enjoy working within a small and supportive team. This is a great opportunity for someone wishing to use or develop their grant application skills, or their charity experience whilst working on a part-time basis. This role is for the equivalent of one day a week on a day/days to be agreed, with some flexibility. It is a new role which will support the charity in increasing income from grants (mainly Trusts and Foundations) over the next three years.
- Main Purpose of Job
The purpose of the job is to secure income from grants by writing grant applications and carrying out the administrative tasks required to track applications and keep records of all applications and income.
- Principal Duties and Responsibilities
This successful candidate will possess excellent written communication skills, with a focus on accuracy and detail, and be able to write persuasively and to deadlines. You will be required to work both independently and closely with the Business Development Manager, who has overall responsibility for the submission of applications and will support and give guidance on the grant planning schedule.
- To identify and research prospective trusts, foundations and other grant-making organisations to develop, with the Business Development Manager, a calendar/plan for applications in order to maximise our return from grant applications
- Produce compelling and persuasive grant applications in a variety of formats (letter/on-line) for various projects within the charity, as agreed with the Business Development Manager
- Keep accurate records of all stages of all applications and ensure that all income/costs are recorded in line with grant restrictions
- Maintain positive relationships with all donors by thanking them and acknowledging their support in line with their wishes, providing interim updates on our service/projects as appropriate
- Write high quality grant reports at the required intervals
- Produce reports on our grant applications and income as required
- Contribute to the development of our fundraising strategy
- To attend training/workshops on behalf of the charity and assist in the development of this income stream
- Assist in writing bids/applications for charity of the year submissions
- Work closely with other members of the team and, on occasions, support in other fundraising duties. If these take place on other days, time off in lieu will be given.
The post-holder will receive induction and familiarisation with the work of the charity.
Hours of work:
Seven hours per week (one day), to be worked on one day or over two days. Some flexibility will be considered.
Terms & conditions:
Jigsaw South East terms and conditions of service.
This job description outlines the key tasks and responsibilities of the post. These key tasks and responsibilities are subject to change. Any changes will be made in consultation with the post holder and Jigsaw South East.
- Able to demonstrate excellent writing skills and a good level of numeracy
- Experience of successful grant applications, or wide fundraising experience with a demonstrable ability to transfer those skills to this role
- Excellent communication skills, particularly written
- Well organised with attention to detail
- High level of self-motivation and ability to work independently and meet deadlines
- IT skills – confident in the use of excel and word and MS Office
- Be able to manage and maintain confidential/sensitive information with professionalism, adhering to privacy and security policies
- Creativity – ability to write with flair and persuasion
- A passion for charity work or supporting disadvantaged children and young people
- An excellent team player
- Ability to work autonomously, well organised and able to meet deadlines
As Jigsaw (South East) works with children and young people, the successful applicant will be required to complete a satisfactory enhanced DBS check and comply with our Child Protection and Safeguarding policy. The role will also be subject to satisfactory references. Jigsaw (South East) has in place an Equality and Diversity policy and a copy can be supplied on request.
For further information about the role, please contact Carolyn Steer, Business Development Manager at email@example.com or on 01342 313895.
For an application form, please call 01342 313895 or email firstname.lastname@example.org